The other day we went outside for a walk to discover that a brand new baby bird had somehow ended up on the sidewalk and died. Cooper immediately noticed and wanted to know "what happened mom- there is bugs on him!" I explained to him very simply that the baby bird had died. He was very interested and started saying "poor baby bird, him fell out of his nest and died, poor baby bird" (I think he got the falling out of the nest because one of his favorite books is Are You My Mother?) but he was right! He looked for a few minutes and I let him and then he was off to explore other things! Luckily I got to start his teaching very simple and will work up to a deeper conversation later!
The other experience happened when we were playing at the park and there were some african american kids. Cooper says very loudly "Mom, mom that kid has black skin- his skin is very black!" I quickly respond with "yes it is- and your skin is white. It is just a different color" He looks down at his arm, accepts my answer and that was the end of the conversation! Whew! ha ha. I love his innocence and curiosity. I know that there will be thousands of other moments like these but I just wanted to remember when it all started! :)
4 comments:
That is so funny- the other day I was at Leah's house and Kirkie and Leah were talking about one of Kirkies friends- and his name was really different and I said- Wow now that's a really different name and Kirkie said to me - " Different than what, Aunt Lexie?" I thought about that all day - Kids are so pure they take these just as they are!! I love it!!
Love love those precious moments- sooo cute. It is so sweet the automatic empathy they have for any living thing. They really are so pure and innocent. Kase- I can't tell you thanks enough for the necklace- I absolutely love wearing it. You are an incredible mother- I feel so lucky to have you as a sister! Thanks for all your love and for all the many times you are an example to me. We love you guys!!
Oh, we miss you guys. What fun mommy moments! Each time I go visiting teaching to someone with 2-3 little kids I am so impressed with how they handle the little things. You, Lexie, Amber... all of you are such awesome parents to your children! Thanks for paving the way!
Aww... I love Cooper! He's such a sweet boy! I hate that i'm so far away that your boys don't get to be with me. You are sucha good mom and I hope that I can be just lik eyou! Love you and miss you all the time Kase!
Post a Comment